Sunday 4 December 2011

Laura Comfort - It Hurts (review)

I was recently sent a copy of Laura Comfort's new single, It Hurts to review for you lovely readers.

Now, it's been a long time since I listened to anything more modern & relevant than Radio Wales, so I didn't quite know what to expect, and was half anticipating something I didn't understand.  See, my hearing loss kind of messes up a lot of music for me, if the backing is too heavy I can't hear the vocals at all.  That's why my taste in music is pretty much stuck in 1990.

Much to my surprise, I didn't have that problem with Laura's song.  It's beautifully open, acoustic & folky, bordering on country, with more than a little hint of Eva Cassidy.  Laura has got a great voice for this song, and it'll be making a regular appearance on my playlist, I love listening to something different to what people expect of me.

At this time of year, everywhere is full of the same old Christmas classics we hear every year, and whatever dross has been churned out by the X-Factor, Laura Comfort provides a welcome antidote to that, a real singer-songwriter with something new, and genuine content.  The musicians are excellent, and there's a lot of talent in that 3 and a half minutes.  (Also I love her dress. I would look like a sack of spuds in it, but I love it all the same)

Will it be a hit? Possibly not, simply because it's not X-Factor dross, and that's what sells, unfortunately.  Is it worth a listen? Yep, in my opinion.  Take a look for yourself.



It Hurts was released on 14 November.  Laura will be appearing at Ronnie Scott's on December 13th.

Disclosure: I was provided with a cd free of charge for the purpose of this review.  I was not told what to write, and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for your convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive reward for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?