Friday 1 June 2012

Am I missing something?


I've got a confession to make.  The whole "jubilee fever" thing has passed me by.  I'm feeling not a jot of patriotic pride, and am thoroughly bored with the whole thing already.  No bunting on my blog, thank you very much.

I can't even say I'm grateful for the extra day off work.  I work part-time see, and get pro-rata bank holidays, 3/5ths of the annual bank holiday entitlement, so when all but one of the year's bank holidays fall on my working days, and the office is closed, I've got to work outside of my normal hours to make it up. No extra day off for me, an extra day IN instead.  No-one's organised anything here, same as the one ten years ago.  It'll pass us by with nothing more than bad telly.

Part of me feels a little bit bad about this. Not that I don't really care, but that I'm denying Squeaky the chance of something important & memorable.  But then I thought about it.  I was 1 1/2 at the Silver Jubilee, 6 for Charles & Diana's wedding.  I know there were street parties for both, because I've seen pictures of me with red, white & blue ribbons in my hair.  But I don't remember a thing of them.  Not a sausage (roll?).  Yet I DO have memories of that age. I remember a holiday we took when I was 18 months old, sitting under a table in the hotel restaurant, listening to McArthur Park, and wondering why the hell someone didn't just bring that cake inside, or why he didn't copy the recipe down.  I remember all sorts of silly things about school, and the house we lived in before moving when I was 6, but nothing about the Jubilee or Royal Wedding.



I was going to say "something unique and memorable" in the paragraph above, until I realised what I was following it up with. The Jubilee is far from unique.  For pretty much everyone reading this blog, we've had another Jubilee in recent living memory (and if you're under the age of 10, why are you reading this? Go outside and play!) not to mention a proper royal wedding, a few quieter weddings, a couple of state funerals, oh and the Olympics coming up shortly.  I've got Union Jack overload.

So, enjoy your party, I'm off to watch The Tiger Who Came To Tea tomorrow with Squeaky and some friends (with their adorable munchkin), and I shall spend the rest of the long weekend trying to catch up with 2 weeks of Corrie, and almost the entire series of The Apprentice.  That's something to be grateful for, I suppose. And if we get really desperate, I could always stick Wacky Races on, pretend it's still 1977!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?