Wednesday 13 February 2013

Jordans Crunchy Oat Granola Review

My New Year's Resolution this year is to TRY and eat breakfast every day.  It's the effort that matters, not whether I actually achieve it every day without fail.  I try.  I'm fairly easily bored as well, so I like to take the opportunity to try out new breakfasts, and I was keen to give Jordans Crunchy Oat Granola a try.

I'm fairly taken with granola recently.  It seems to have taken off in the UK in quite a big way in the last few years, or at least describing those crunchy oat "things" as granola has, rather than calling them clusters.  I don't know, maybe I'm just old and things have been this way for a long time, but granola is one of those foods I always associate with America.  I'm glad it's here though.

I was sent a bag of Jordans Crunchy Oat Granola in Raisin & Almond flavour.  There's also Fruit & Nut and Tropical Fruits varieties.  The bag took me slightly by surprise, but it's quite sturdy, and with a bag clip on top it'd be secure & not spill all over the cupboards in most houses.  Knowing our house though, I put it into one of those cereal dispensers that makes me feel like a Stepford Wife.  It's something to bear in mind, but you could always slip the bag inside a recently vacated box of another cereal if you're worried.  It cuts down on waste and transport costs, and I'm happy with that.  The bag was a generous 1kg size, which means less trips to the shops, and better value for money.

Anyway, onto the taste test.  We're not big nut eaters in our house, by any stretch of the imagination, but I make an exception for almonds.  The slices of almond in the granola add a little texture, and a subtle flavour, but not overwhelming.  The main taste comes from the honeyed granola and the raisins.  I tried a handful without milk and it makes for a tasty snack while watching tv, and also goes well with yogurt instead of milk if you're in the mood for something a bit different at breakfast time.

I was feeling kind, and decided to share my granola with Squeaky Daddy.  He's a bit more of a traditionalist than me, and tucked in to a bowl with cold milk.  He was impressed with the generous amount of raisins, and said that the cereal was not too sweet, so he felt he was eating something good that he enjoyed, and not a children's cereal.

As it's not too sweet, I'm tempted to try it out as an ingredient in cooking, I've seen some recipes online using granola in stuffing for pork that sound quite tempting, or maybe just homemade cereal bars to keep me away from chocolate at work.

Jordans Crunchy Oat Granola is available from most major supermarkets for around £3.29 for a 1kg bag.

Disclaimer: I was provided with a bag of cereal free of charge for the purpose of this review. I was not told what to write and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for your convenience, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive payment for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?