Friday 24 May 2013

Aqua Ears Review

I love summer, and more than that I love swimming.  Unfortunately my doctor isn't quite so keen on me swimming, because I've had an ear infection for the majority of the last 2 years, or at least it seems that way. It comes, I have about three different lots of ear drops over the course of a month, it goes away for a few weeks, and then it comes back & we start the cycle again.  At the moment, it seems to be clear, and my doctor has given me strict instructions to get some ear plugs for swimming.  Squeaky also loves swimming, but HATES getting water in her ears.  So when I learned that Cirrus Healthcare were launching AquaEars children's ear plugs in larger branches of Boots this June, I was keen to give them a try.



I'd actually already bought some of the adult ones, BioEars, in our local Boots a week or so earlier, so the timing couldn't have been better.  They're a brand I recognise, and trust with Squeaky's health.  AquaEars, and the adult BioEars, are soft silicone ear plugs, designed to mould gently to the shape of the ear canal to stop water getting in, and also provide 22 decibels of noise reduction (very welcome around a noisy swimming pool!), which means they're also great for protecting delicate ears at festivals.  They've got ActivAloe and are antimicrobial, protecting from germs and stopping water getting in to the ear canal.  The AquaEars range feature a selection of favourite cartoon characters - Mickey Mouse, Hello Kitty, Spongebob Squarepants, Nemo, Cars & Princess Ariel.  We were sent a set of the Princess Ariel AquaEars, and a set of standard BioEars to try out & review.


The AquaEars have transfers of Princess Ariel on them, and Squeaky was very excited to have a mermaid princess to go in her ears.  I had to remind her from time to time to leave them alone when we were in the pool, but she wasn't bothered about them, and needed reminding far less than she would otherwise have been complaining about water getting in, so I think that's a success.  When we went swimming this Friday for the second time since receiving the AquaEars to try out, she actually asked for them, which really pleased me, and shows she's happy with them.  The earplugs are reusable and can be put back in their carrying box between wears, though they don't got back to their original shape, they keep the shape of your ear.  This makes them a little bit harder to fir the second time, but it would be a bit pricey if they were single use.  Sadly the transfer breaks up a bit on use, so they don't quite look like Princess Ariel after the first wear, but even so.

Nails: Deborah Lippmann - Ruby Red Slippers

I tried out the adult version, which are just a translucent pale blue, no pretty transfers for me.  Wearing hearing aids on a daily basis, I'm very used to having something in my ears all the time, so they felt no different to me.  I'm not sure how they'd feel if you're not used to the sensation, but as Squeaky was able to ignore them, they must be fairly comfortable.

I was a little bit hesitant to begin with in putting my ears properly in the water, I really don't need another ear infection right now, but in the interests of a full review, I did it for you.  And I was pleased to find that they do do what they claim, and were properly waterproof. No water in my ears at all.  Happy girl, happy ears, happy doctor!

AquaEars and BioEars are available from Boots, as well as other retailers.

Disclosure - I was provided with a pack of BioEars and a pack of AquaEars free of charge for the purpose of this review. I was not told what to write and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for your convenience, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive payment for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?