Friday 30 August 2013

Parragon Book Buddies - Children's Books Summer 2013

Way back in the height of summer, when the days were long, and I had a suntan, I went to BritMums Live.  And I met the lovely people from Parragon Books, who asked me if Squeaky & I would like to be part of their Book Buddies group, and help them reviewing new books.  Yes, they asked me. As if I'm going to say no to the offer of New Books, with that lovely New Book Smell.

So, we received 2 books for Squeaky to look at, and we'd like to tell you a bit more about them, once she's finished reading, naturally.

The first book is the utterly adorable Things You Never Knew About Dinosaurs, by Giles Paley-Phillips.  I won't spoil the story for you, but suffice it to say that dinosaurs didn't really die out, they're all around us, doing amazing things.  We love this book, the rhymes, the pictures, the silly story, it's just so much fun.  So much so, that when I was chatting to a story-telling librarian last week, I recommended it to her to add to both the library's collection, and her story-telling selections.  Even Daddy has enjoyed reading this one, but I've been told I have to read the last page quietly and not in a silly scary loud voice like I'd rather.

No nail polish, again!
The second book we received was Goodnight Little One, by Margaret Wise Brown.  This is a more traditional bedtime story book, a rhyming story as the little donkey on the cover, and his various baby animal friends settle down to sleep, and encourage your little one to do the same.  Squeaky settled down really quietly with this one, and cwtched up with me, but if anything it finished slightly too soon for her. She's at that awkward age where the easy to read bedtime stories are too short to be read to her, but she can't read them herself yet.  Soon, though.  Soon.


The simplicity and repetition of the rhyme is great for early readers, and young listeners, and given a couple of readings, Squeaky will happily join in with the "Little Donkey, close your eyes" refrain.  The illustrations are beautifully soft and restful, and you almost want to stroke the animals, to ease them off to their dreams.  (No inside photos of this one, I'm afraid. I can't disturb her beauty sleep).  You know what I think this book would be really great for?  Older brothers & sisters reading to their little siblings with parental help.  It's great to share that kind of experience, and the words are easy enough to do that, as well as the message of the story.  Reading practice and sibling bonding in one.

Things You Never Knew About Dinosaurs is definitely our favourite of these two books, and a regular on our bedtime story list, but we love them both.  Both books are published by Parragon, and available from amazon and other retailers.

Disclosure: I was provided with copies of both of these books free of charge as part of the Parragon Book Buddies programme.  I was not told what to write and all opinions remain my own.  Links are provided for convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme and will not receive reward for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?