Monday 6 January 2014

Sport Relief Swimathon

I'm not sure what's come over me.  It could be that there's a big & scary numbered birthday less than 2 years away.  It could be the fact that my waistline is growing at an astonishing rate.  Or I could have drunk one too many cans of energy drink & started hallucinating again (that was a scary afternoon!).  I'm not going to be one of these people who can do 40 before 40 (I said it, ooops), unless it's 40 jam doughnuts.

But for some reason, I decided it would be a good thing to register for the Sport Relief  Swimathon.   And not the 1.5k, 2.5k, or team challenge. Oh no, I'm daft enough to have registered to swim 5km on my own.

I was a swimmer in my (much) younger days, and have swum quite a few 3ks.  I was swimming 2k+ a time until I was 8 months pregnant with Squeaky.  It's just kind of slipped since then, along with my social life, beauty regime & sleeping patterns.  Nothing like a ridiculous challenge to get your mind focussed, hey?


So between now and March 22nd, I've got to double my distance - I'm swimming around 2-2.5k at the moment, and get used to the ever present smell of chlorine.  It's quite a trick fitting training in around my work, Squeaky's school runs, and Daddy's shifts, but I'm doing the best I can. I think I'm going to have to take out a couple of months' membership of the council pool, because otherwise it's going to cost me a fortune.  The pool opens at 6.15am.  What's the realistic chances that I'm ever going to get up & go that early, while Squeaky & Daddy are still asleep? (that way he can deal with her toast demands)  Not gonna happen is it?

But.  I'm going to do it, even if I have to spend 6 hours gentling bobbing about in the pool, with Squeaky getting increasingly jealous that she can't come in & join me.  That's quite tough actually, she loves "going swimming", but her version of going swimming involves hanging off me or jumping in from the side like a lunatic.  I don't get many (or ANY) lengths in if I've gone with her.

Why am I telling you this?  Well, partly for sympathy.  And partly because I'd love it if you could dig down to the bottom of your pockets & sponsor me using the link, or the handy badge over on the right somewhere.  I haven't set myself a big target, as you'll see, because it's as much a challenge to myself as anything else. But if you've got some spare pennies, I can think of worse ways to spend them!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant .

    I can't swim .

    I could do it if I had arm bands.

    ReplyDelete

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?